Nursing Course In India
31-01-2022 5:44pm | by Garima Mohta
Nursing Course In India : Course eligibility , Best nursing college , Nursing Jobs
The field of medicine in science is one of the fields that will remain forever with mankind. Medicine is one of the most important parts and needs of humankind. Likewise, in this field of science nurses are to be known as the backbones of the entire section.
There are several nursing course in India. The students will get great opportunities among various stages like from diploma studies to postgraduate studies. Nursing is the career opportunity that most individuals opt for. This career empowers people to work with the health and medical sector to help and serve people in need.
The nursing experts play a leading role in the hospitals and the health care sector. They are like a link between the patients and doctors to make the work easier. Demand for the best health care has been increasing over the past years. The students get the best practical training during their course.
What is a Nursing Course?
Nursing course is a great course in the science field whose priority is to focus on the learning and training to become a nurse. Some of the specialised nursing courses in India are General nursing, Adult nursing, mental health nursing and medical health nursing have a wider range.
Nursing courses are very uptrend nowadays. Nursing careers are both profitable and challenging. This course is available at different levels like Certificate, Diploma, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Doctoral(PhD).
List of nursing courses in India after completing class 12:-
There are various nursing courses students can opt for after their class 12th. Courses like Diploma in Nursing, BSc Nursing, MSc Nursing, GNM Nursing and ANM Nursing are the top courses after 12th. GNM and ANM nursing courses are professional courses that include an internship of about 6 months during the 2 to 3.5-year course.
The table below shows the fees structure of the nursing courses in India:-
|Course Name||Nursing Course Fee|
|GNM Nursing||INR 20,000-150,000|
|ANM Nursing||INR 10,000-60,000|
|Diploma in Nursing||INR 21,000-92,000|
|Diploma in Home Nursing||INR 20,000-90,000|
|Diploma in Nursing Administration||INR 20,000-90,000|
Types of Nursing Courses In India:-
Get to know in detail about the above professional nursing courses:-
#1. Diploma in Nursing:-
This is a training course in the nursing field. The span of this course is a year shorter than that of BSc nursing courses. The students must have to complete a 6-month internship program to be more experienced and professional in their work.
Some facts about this course are as follows:-
- ANM and GNM are the most popular and common courses available in this category.
- The student is eligible for this course if he/she has passed their 10+2 exams with a minimum percentage of 50% from a recognised board.
- Along with this qualification, the student must have a minimum experience of 2 years in GNM (General Nursing and Midwifery). But if the student is not experienced in this field they are expected to complete a 6 months certificate nursing course specified by The Indian Nursing Council.
- The admissions for this course is generally merit list based. No entrance exams are conducted for these types of nursing courses.
#2. GNM Nursing:-
General Nursing and Midwifery is a diploma course of about 3.5 years in Nursing. This course includes a 6-month internship which is mandatory for all the students pursuing this course.
Some facts about this course are as follows:-
- The eligibility for this course is that the student should be a 10+2 pass with 40% English as a compulsory subject. Students must score an aggregate of 40% marks in their core subjects.
- The students who have an ANM Nursing degree with passing marks can apply for this course also.
- Students who have any Vocational courses from the CBSE board/NIOS/ or state board can also apply for this course.
- The age limit to apply for the GNM Nursing course of a student is a minimum of 17 years and a maximum of 35 years as of 31st December.
#3. ANM Nursing:-
Auxiliary Nursing Midwifery is a diploma course of about 2 years. It also includes a 6-month internship which is compulsory for all the students.
Some of the criteria are as follows:-
- The student applying for the ANM Nursing course should be a 10+2 pass in Arts or science field from a recognised board.
- The minimum age limit for this course is 17 years and the maximum is 35 years as of 31st December.
#4. BSc Nursing:-
The BSc Nursing course is one of the most popular degrees opted by most individuals who are willing to make a career in the nursing field. Below are some criteria for the course:-
- It is a 4-year degree for the students who have completed their 10+2 exams from a recognised board.
- The students need to give an entrance exam for admission to this course.
- The students need to clear their class 10+2 exams with PCB and English as their mandatory subjects with an aggregate of 45%.
- For this course, the candidate must be medically fit and their age should be between 17-35 years as of 31st December.
- The most basic eligibility for this course is the student must have a GNM Nursing degree with the state nurse registration council.
- The candidate must be a registered nurse or midwife with any State Nursing Registration Council.
After BSc nursing, BSc Nursing (Hons) and Post Basic BSc Nursing courses are also available in India according to the requirements but the eligibility criteria may differ in different courses.
#5. MSc Nursing course:-
This is a masters degree in nursing that includes specialisation in pediatric nursing, psychiatric, mental health nursing, surgical nursing and many more. The following points are some facts about this course:-
- For admission to this course, the student must be a pass out in BSc Nursing (General and Honours) and Nursing Post Basic from a recognised institution.
- The student must score aggregate marks of 55% in the above-mentioned courses.
- The candidate must be a registered nurse/midwife from any of the State Nurse Registration Council.
- The eligibility criteria also include candidates having at least 1 year of work experience before doing BSc nursing post-basic.
Eligibility Criteria for Undergraduate Degree Courses in Nursing:-
The eligibility criteria for the undergraduate degree nursing courses in India are over basic to an extent. They are as follows:-
- The candidate must be a 10+2 class pass out from a recognised board or institution.
- The student must have scored a minimum of 50% in classes 10 and 12.
- The student must be from the science field for admission to the nursing courses.
- The compulsory subjects are Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics.
Eligibility Criteria for students of Postgraduate Degree Courses in Nursing:-
The eligibility criteria all the colleges look for the admission to the nursing course are as follows:-
- The candidate must have completed their 10+2 level from a recognized board.
- Students must have scored aggregate 50% marks in classes 10&12.
- The candidate must have a degree in the medical field of science stream.
- Students must also have a BSc degree for admission to a Postgraduate degree.
- The student must have obtained about 55% or above marks in their Undergraduate level.
- Candidates have to score good marks in their entrance exam. As the entrance exams are the gateway for the students for the admission to the colleges for these courses.
For further information, students must contact their specified colleges and refer to their college notices before applying for admission to the courses.
What are the entrance exams conducted for the nursing courses in India?
The colleges and the universities that provide admission to their college for the nursing courses by conducting entrance examinations. Entrance exams conducted by the colleges are important as they determine the eligibility of the student for admission.
Below are the following entrance exams that are conducted for nursing courses:-
- NEET – NEET is an exam conducted at a national level for all science students. The students are given admission to different courses in various colleges according to the ranks obtained in this exam.
- ITM NEST – This exam is conducted for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate level students. NEST university conducts this exam.
- SAAT – SAAT is an entrance exam that is also conducted for both the Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels. The question paper pattern of this exam is generally MCQs.
- AIIMS – AIIMS conducts entrance exams for the students who are willing to pursue nursing. It is one of the top best medical colleges in India. It also conducts exams for various courses.
- CET – This common entrance exam is conducted across different states of the country. The exams are conducted by the government of different states for several courses.
Different colleges and universities conduct entrance examinations for nursing courses. These exams are conducted for both Bachelor’s and Master’s degree students. The candidate should have a basic knowledge about the subject for their exams.
Top Nursing colleges in India:-
Various nursing colleges all over India provide quality knowledge and practices and give students the proper guidance for a better future. Below are some of the top best colleges/universities in India.
#Nursing colleges in Delhi:-
In the below table there are the top 5 colleges and universities in Delhi that provide students with various nursing courses. They can get admission by giving the required entrance exams and following the required admission criteria. In the table below are the colleges and their fees structure mentioned.
|Nursing colleges||Nursing course fees|
|Institute of public health and hygiene||INR 64,000|
|Academy of hospital administration||INR 30,000|
|Institute of paramedical technology||INR 40,000|
|Swami Vivekanand Subharti University||INR 2,000,000|
|IIMT College of Medical Science Meerut||INR 89,000|
#Nursing Colleges in Mumbai:-
There are various good colleges in Mumbai. Here are the top 4 best colleges in Mumbai for future aspiring nurses. The students can get admission to the following colleges by passing their 10+2 level with a good percentage. The table below shows the best 4 colleges and their annual fees structure.
|Nursing Colleges||Nursing Course Fees|
|Mumbai university||INR 44,000|
|Topiwala National Medical College||INR 85,000|
|MGM University of Health Sciences||INR 90,700|
|Rajarshri Chhatrapati Shivaji Government Medical College||INR 87,000|
#Nursing Colleges in Chennai:-
Here are the top good colleges for future nurses who can apply for their courses. The table below shows the top nursing colleges and their annual fees structure.
|Nursing Colleges||Nursing Course Fees|
|SRM Institute of Technology||INR 2,60,000|
|Tamil Nadu Nurses and Midwife Council||INR 50,000|
|Apollo College of Nursing Chennai||INR 60,000|
|Venkateswara Nursing Colleges||INR 40,000|
The students can apply for their nursing jobs after completing their nursing courses. They can apply for a variety of jobs in the health care sector for both public and private sectors. They can apply for vacancies in hospitals and nursing homes. The list below shows the top Nursing jobs that can be opted for by the candidates after they complete the course. The list also shows the salary criteria for their jobs.
- Chief Nursing Officer – Chief Nursing Officer are a part of the senior management. They can lead people, represent nurses as their spokesperson, are the community leader and they have the leadership skills that are required for the best job. Their salary ranges from INR 9,00,000 to INR 10,00,000.
- Critical Care Nurse – As you can get the meaning of the job from the name only, the job of these nurses is to take care of the patients before and after operations for the specific disease. These types of nurses can hold the position of managers and policymakers. The salary of these nurses ranges from INR 2,00,000 to INR 4,00,000.
- Nurse Educator – The role of these nurses is to teach the other nurses how to take care of the patients. They are here to advise and improve the capability of the other nurses. These nurses are required to teach the work to the nurses at UG and PG levels according to their qualifications. The salary of these nurses is INR 3,38,000.
- Registered Nurse- These nurses act as the individuals who interact with the patients daily. They help in taking tests and taking care of the patients. This job includes taking care of the patients, looking over their condition and assisting the doctors. Their salary is INR 4,42,000.
- Clinical Nurse Manager- These nurses lead a group of nurses to ensure that there is a relevant number of staff members in the particular unit. They check on the track of the admission and discharge of the patients with the other things. Their salary is INR 2,67,000.
The below list shows the other jobs of the nurses and their salaries.
- GNM Nursing and their salary ranges from INR 10,000 to INR 15,000.
- Staff Nurse and their salary is INR 23,892.
- A nursing officer or AIIMS Nursing and their salary ranges from INR 9,300 to INR 34,800.
- ANM Nursing and their salary ranges from INR 20,000 to INR 25,000.
- Military Nursing and their salary range from INR 15,000 to INR 20,000.
- The nursing Supervisor salary is INR 18,000 to INR 30,000.
- A Nurse Practitioner’s salary is INR 2,70,000 per annum.
- AIIMS Nurse salary is INR 9,300-INR 34,800.
- MSc Nursing salary is INR 35,000 to INR 75,000.
BSc Nursing is one of the most common nursing courses in India. The list below shows their salary criteria.
- The average salary is from INR 3,00,000 to 7,50,000 per annum.
- From the Government Sector, the salary of nurses is INR 25,000 per month.
- AIIMS nurses salary ranges from INR 3,60,000 – 4,60,000 per annum.
- In the USA the salary for these nurses is INR 1,459 per hour.
- In the UK the salary of nurses is INR 23,08,797 per month.
- In Canada, the salary of nurses is INR 1,989 per hour.
- In Germany, the salary is INR 25,33,863 per month.
- And in Australia, the salary of nurses is INR 1,770 per month.
What is the scope of Nursing courses in India?
Nursing is one of the most popular and well-established fields in the science stream in India. It has a wider scope in India. Many students are applying for this course all over India. The healthcare sector has been not in demand in India and has gained popularity. Because of this reason nursing has become one of the most important courses and a part of subjects in India it has also participated in a wider range in the science stream. Nurses perform a major role and participate in most critical cases in hospitals. Nurses have to attempt about 24/7 hours in hospitals. This is the reason why nurses are called the backbone of the hospital or healthcare sector.
Nurses are not only employed in hospitals but they are also hired across the city or state in various nursing homes and healthcare sectors. Many people also hire nurses at their homes to attend to the patients for their everyday health needs. Nurses and nursing course have great demand all over the country
Many healthcare sectors would not be able to work properly in the absence of nurses. Industry of the healthcare sectors are dependent upon the nursing groups. This reason nursing courses are very important because they provide a wide range of courses in different medical streams.
And not only in India but across all over the world the nurses are said to be the main part of the hospital and healthcare sectors. For this reason nursing courses are available all over the country and world. Countries with well-established healthcare sectors and hospitals have great demand for nurses. All individuals require good healthcare so the nurses are available in every field even at the primary level.
The best nursing courses help the future nurses to get the perfect knowledge and skills and the practicals will help them to get the perfect experience for taking care of the patients and other work at hospitals. The courses and their studies include the study of medicines and their perfect timing that has to be given to the patients.
The scope for the nurses and their courses across the country and the whole world will continue to do well. There are millions of people who are enrolling for the nursing courses and give the entrance exam to get admission in the best colleges for their future courses and their future jobs for nursing. Despite being in demand there is still a scarcity of nurses. Due to the increase in demand will be reserved for the best salary to be paid to the nurses and the higher rates in the coming years.
What are the subjects taught to the students in the nursing course?
The students willing to take admission in the nursing colleges must have English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology as their core subjects.
The lists of the subject below are taught to nursing students:
- Human Anatomy
- Medical-Surgical Nursing
- Environmental Science
- Nursing foundation
- Child health nursing
- Basic of computer science
- Community health nursing
- Mental health nursing
- Management of nurse Service
- Communication Technology
- Advanced nursing
- Nursing Statistics
- Gynaecological nursing
- Psychiatric nursing.
Career in Nursing:-
Studying medicine in science stream and becoming a loss is not only an option that a science student or a nursing student have. Nowadays a lot of nursing and medical students complete their higher education and specialize their skills and knowledge in the particular field to get a better future and job. They specialise their skills and knowledge in the field they are studying and want to dedicate all their work and study in the nursing field. Due to this dedication the demand and the employment of nurses is increasing not only in India but all over the world.
Nurses are not only to assist doctors or take care of patients but they have also been given the responsibility of becoming the supervisors and managing the work of the other nurses in different hospitals. The nurses are also given the responsibility to teach their subordinates and their juniors in many medical institutes in our country. Now the nurses are able to find job in our country at a wide range and a good salary offers.
In a survey it is found that in the upcoming years we will see that the demand for nurses is increasing at a wide range. This is because we can see there are a lot of people who are becoming future doctors and physicians and the nursing student percentage is decreasing.
The salaries of the nurses will increase due to the lack of nurses as many students are only and rolling for doctors and physicians. Due to this reason in future we can see that there will be policies for the nurses that will ensure their working hours and salary packages. In future versus would not have to work over time but there will be a fixed hours of working for the nurses.
Nurses with proper knowledge and specialisations will become important and common over the following years. And the nursing students will have to complete their higher studies to get the perfect knowledge skills if they want to work with a good salary package.
Job Profiles and Top Recruiters in Nursing Courses in India:-
As we can see that the demand for the nurses are increasing and according to that there are few opportunities that are available for the nursing students with particular description:-
Nurse- The role of a nurse is to attend various patients and look after them. They are required to observe the condition of the patient and give time to time medicines to them. They are also required to help the doctors during various procedures and treatments. There is to prepare various instruments and equipment that are required for the treatment and procedures.
Nurse Educator- The Nurse Educator acts as in charge of the training nurses. The work is to help the nurses around and guide them to what the work has to be done.
Nurse Supervisor- the knot supervisors are responsible to guide the team of nurses. They manage and ensure that the nurses who are in training and other nurses do their duties. They have to check and update the charts and other duties performed by nurses.
Professor- Many students opt for the teaching professions once they have completed their nursing studies and training. These individuals like to work in various private and Government medical colleges as professors of nursing courses.
Counsellor- The nurses have to work in close relations with the patients and doctors and have to perform other duties. These nurses perform as the counselor of other nurses. They provide the other working nurses support and proper guidance.
Nursing Top Recruiters:-
Below is the list of the top recruiters who recruit the nursing students based on their qualifications and skills.
Government medical colleges.
Ramaiah group of hospitals.
Columbia Asia Hospitals.
Ayurvedic treatment centres.
Average Salary Package:-
The following table shows the approximate figures that the individual notices earn in their field in a year.
|Job Profile||Annual Salary|
|Nurse||Rs 3 lakhs per annum|
|Nurse educator||Rs. 4 lakhs per annum|
|Nurse supervisor||Rs. 4 lakhs per annum|
|Professor||Rs. 6 lakhs per annum|
|Counsellors||Rs. 5 lakhs per annum|
Course Curriculum for Nursing students:-
The time span for the undergraduate course in the nursing field is for four years. During the following years, students are given the proper knowledge and guidance of various medical aspects and situations required in the field. The students get training with the practical procedures and different methods to experience the situations that can happen in the hospitals.
The colleges and universities also provide students with 6 months and one year internships. And in the final years the students get the knowledge and are usually made to work in different medical colleges and different government hospitals as a part of the training and internship.
In the postgraduate level the training is usually for two years. At this level the training and practicals given to the students helps them exposure to the different situations. Where given the proper knowledge and skills that are related to the field and are necessary for their future jobs.
From the above description in the article we can consider that the nursing courses in India are popular nowadays. Many students from the science field are opting for the nursing courses. Because that nursing courses help them to work and help other peoples in their medical and health care needs. If you are willing to take nursing courses for your future career you can consider the above mentioned details for the nursing courses and the best colleges all over India.